The following meal plan was devised by our nutritionist for those suffering from acid reflux symptoms after weight loss surgery.
Meal plan to assist with Acid Reflux:
- Eat Smaller more frequent meals. Overeating can trigger acid reflux.
- Stop eating 3 hours before bed, eating right before bed can affect your sleep.
- Start taking a probiotic that has at least 50 billion units. Follow directions on the bottle.
- Optional: taking 1 TBSP diluted in water of apple cider vinegar in the morning and before you go to bed.
- Do not overeat
- Chew food thoroughly before swallowing and eat slowly
Foods that may assist with acid reflux or healthy food options:
- Yogurt (low sugar) Whole plain Greek yogurt
- Fermented foods/ vegetables (examples: yogurt, cottage cheese, pickled cumbers, pickled garlic, pickled beets, pickled radishes, soy sauce)
- Leafy greens like spinach, collards, etc..
- Salmon & Tuna
- Fair Life Milk (w/ digestive enzyme in it)- can buy where you get regular milk
- Herbal teas- chamomile tea
- Use coconut oil on vegetables and foods
- Lean meats like chicken, turkey, fish, seafood
Foods to Avoid/ Foods YOU CAN NOT HAVE during this time:
- Sugar substitutes
- greasy/fried or spicy foods, sausages
- Tomatoes and tomato products
- Orange Juice, citrus fruit, and beverages
- Soda or carbonated beverages
- Corn, potato chips, and many grains like rice
- Alcoholic drinks
Sample Meal Plan: Acid Reflux Suffers
- Herbal tea
- 1 ounce of oatmeal or cream of wheat with sliced ¼ banana made with Fair life milk
- Almonds – no more than 22
- 6 oz. cottage cheese w/ strawberries or
- Tuna, salmon, eggs salad
- Can eat with crackers (no more than 6 or 1 tortilla or tostada)
- One piece sprouted grain bread (Ezekiel bread) or tortilla with a pat of butter or avocado on it or make cheese toast.
- Salad lettuce, broccoli, bell peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers (add nuts or seeds) or
- Best vegetables: squash, broccoli, cauliflower-mash up the vegetables with sea salt and olive or coconut oil
- Dressing: apple cider vinegar mixed with olive oil for the dressing
- Add a protein like chicken, fish, turkey (grill or bake)
- Yogurt – high protein, low sugar like Dannon Triple Zero
- Glass of water with freshly squeezed lemon