The use of e-cigarettes, personal vaporizers, mods, and other vaping devices has grown significantly in the United States. Approximately one in five adults currently vapes or use vaping products, which continues to rise in popularity for young adults and those who are overweight or obese. Before undergoing weight loss surgery, vaping guidelines must be followed to reduce risk, complications, and success.
In this article, we will explore
- Guidelines for vaping before and after surgery.
- The advantages of giving up vaping products for weight loss procedures.
- The dangers of continuing to vape both before and after weight loss surgery.
Vaping Instructions Before Bariatric Surgery
It’s imperative to stop vaping 3 to 6 weeks before surgery. Staying vape-free for 3 to 6 weeks after surgery can maximize healing and recovery while having a significant impact on reducing complications. According to the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists, vaping liquid may significantly increase the risk of complications associated with surgery and anesthesia.
What Happens if I Vape Before Bariatric Surgery?
According to the American College of Surgeons (ACS) Clinical Congress, “Studies show smoking and vaping before an elective operation doubles the risk of postoperative pneumonia and increases the risk of a heart attack by 70 percent.”
Pre-op bariatric surgery vaping risks
- Unstable blood pressure
- Reduced blood flow
- Blood clot
- Increased heart rate
- Oxygen deprivation to vital organs
- Myocardial contraction
- Endothelial dysfunction
- Lipid increase
- Hemodynamic instability
- Sometimes death
The harmful effects of nicotine on the circulatory system can cause irregular or unstable blood pressure (hemodynamic instability) when a person is under general anesthesia. Additionally, it has been demonstrated that smoking negatively affects blood flow, heart rate, and blood pressure.
Vaping Instructions After Surgery
Following surgery, if you are unable to stop vaping entirely, you must stay smoke-free for at least 2 weeks after bariatric surgery. However, most surgeons require 4 to 6 weeks before using any e-cigarette product.
Based on a review by the University of Ottawa, “smoking within a year prior bariatric surgery is significantly more likely to cause severe postoperative complications and 30-day mortality. Long-term problems such as marginal ulceration and bone fracture were correlated with smoking.”
What Happens If I Vape After Surgery?
The detrimental effects of smoking traditional and electronic cigarettes are equally the same. Because nicotine constricts blood arteries, less blood reaches the skin and other tissues. Furthermore, it makes blood platelets, which are implicated in clotting, more likely to clump together. As a result, blood circulation is decreased, particularly to tiny microvessels in the epidermis, making it far more difficult for the body to heal wounds.
Post-Op Bariatric Surgery Vaping Risks
- Negatively affects scarring and wound healing
- The potency of some post-operative drugs
- Surgical site infection
- Increase stomach gas
- Painful bloating, hiccups
- Potential gastric tear
- Decay of healthy tissue
- Stomach ulcers
“Smoking increases your overall surgical risk, slows healing, and raises major health issues before and after bariatric surgery.”
– Dr. Jacqueline Osuna, Board-Certified Bariatric Surgeon
Best Methods to Quit Vaping Before Surgery
Vaping can be incredibly difficult to quit. Yet the rewards are substantial in improving overall health, finances, and timeliness. For lifelong smokers, this can feel like an impossible task to accomplish. There are effective ways to quit vaping if you are scheduled for weight loss surgery and need a strategy to get through the breakup. Slowly weening off or reducing the nicotine contents is one of the best methods to stop vaping products for good.
- Reduce the nicotine levels in your cartridge over time until you can use nicotine-free cartridges and smoothly quit smoking completely with minor withdrawals.
- Vape in moderation. Ween off by vaping less. Every 3 days, add another hour between the time you typically puff the vape. In 15 – 21 days, you will only hit the vape once or twice a day. From there, the withdrawals are minor, and you can fully prep for surgery.
- Exercise. By boosting endorphin levels through exercise, you can achieve the same effect on the brain without vaping.
- Distractions. If you can give your cravings a few minutes to pass, they will. It will go more quickly if you use a distraction to deliberately divert your attention from the urge.
- Create a successful setting for yourself. Establishing a home free from temptation, such as by getting rid of anything that makes you think of vaping. Make sure there are no e-cigarettes or other vaping supplies in your space. Then, let your pals know you’re attempting to stop so they don’t bring around vaping devices that can cause a craving.
- Cope with your life stressors. When under stress, many people turn to vape, which creates a circle of cravings. Finding a solution to your stressor, going for a walk, or doing yoga can all help you feel better.
- Celebrate your successes. When you’re trying to stop smoking, recognizing your accomplishments will help you become more resilient to stress and cravings. Share your achievements by posting your victories on social media.
You can also get prescribed medications by your primary care physician for a painless, direct approach to quitting vaping.
- Chantix – is one of the most effective drugs designed to make smoking undesirable and alleviate withdrawals.
Although vaping may seem harmless, it has substantial negative side effects regarding your success with weight loss surgery. Not only does it diminish complications, but it also benefits healing while having an impact on overall health.
Leave A Comment