Bariatric Surgery Pre-Op Diet Guide
Pre-Op Diet Guidelines Based on BMI
- 30-32 = 2 days clear liquids only
- 33-39 = one-week pre-op diet including two days of clear liquids
- 40-45 = 2 weeks pre-op diet including two days of clear liquids
- 46-49 = 3 weeks pre-op diet including two days of clear liquids
- 50-59 = 6 weeks of pre-op diet including two days of clear liquid diet
- 60 plus = 8 weeks pre-op diet including two days of clear liquid
You may purchase these at any health food store or many grocery stores. Please be sure it contains at least 20 grams of protein per serving and less than 5 grams of sugar.
The Pre-Op Diet (Length of Time Depends on BMI)
- 2 – 3 protein shakes per day
- You can eat as many raw or cooked non-starchy vegetables as you want (no potato, corn, or peas)
- Two 4 -7oz servings of lean protein (chicken, turkey, fish, lean ground beef)
- 1 – 2 servings of a healthy fat (salad dressing, olive oil, nuts, avocado, olives)
- You can add ½ cup of frozen berries or ½ banana to your protein shake
- You can make your shake with unsweetened vanilla almond milk or unsweetened coconut milk (no regular milk- too much sugar)
- No bread, rice, pasta, refined grains, sauces with sugar and no dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese)
Since you can have as many veggies, here is a great soup you can make to eat when you are hungry:
7 Days Prior to Surgery
- Some medications may need to be discontinued before surgery depending on the instructions of your SURGEON.
- Specific medications to stop: Coumadin, ANY ANTICOAGULANTS, OR BLOOD THINNERS Plavix, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, Aleve or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication. **Remember this also includes baby aspirin and most arthritis medications. As these can all cause stomach irritation and possibly more bleeding postoperatively.
- If there are any medications you need to stay on, talk directly with your coordinator to get an ok from your surgeon.
- Discontinue birth control and supplemental hormones (IUD’S AND IMPLANTS ARE TOTALLY SAFE and do not need to be removed).
14 Days Prior to Surgery
- Discontinue all vitamins unless otherwise approved by your surgeon.
2 Days Prior to Surgery-Begin Clear Liquid Diet
- Consume only clear liquids:
- Apple or other clear juice without pulp or carbonation. (Honest Kids Juice is the lowest in sugar (10 g. per serving. If you get regular juice use 100% real juice and dilute 60/40 with water)
- Clear broths: Chicken, Vegetable, or Beef.
- Water or Flavored Water.
- Sugar-free drinks such as crystal light, vitamin zero water, Powerade zero.
If you are not taking a probiotic, you Need to have 2 Greek yogurts per day during clear liquids ONLY (may be flavored but no pieces of fruit, it also has to have more protein than sugar. Plain Greek yogurt is your best option or something similar) Approved flavored yogurt: http://www.oikosyogurt.com/greek-yogurt/triple-zero/vanilla
8 Hours Prior to Surgery
- Absolutely nothing to drink after the midnight preceding surgery or 8 hours prior to your surgery.
- Absolutely NO medications unless directed by the doctor. (If you have been pre-approved to take any medications by your physician leading up to surgery, you may take small sips of water for swallowing.)
- Please bring ALL your prescribed medications (whether you are currently taking them or not) in properly labeled pharmaceutical bottles for documentation during Pre-Op testing. Do NOT take any medications after surgery until you have consulted with the doctor(s) and gotten approval.