Los Cabos (Cabo San Lucas), Mexico
A prominent vacation and spa destination, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, is the Jewel of the Baja Peninsula. Cabo San Lucas (often called Cabo) is located at the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula where the Sea of Cortez meets the Pacific Ocean.
Sharing the same coastline, San Jose del Cabo is 20 minutes north of Cabo San Lucas – together called Los Cabos. Dream Hotels and resorts are nestled along “The Corridor” between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas. Los Cabos International Airport (SJD) is located in San Jose del Cabo servicing Cabo San Lucas.
What to do in Cabo
Rated as one of Mexico’s top tourist destinations, Cabo is known for its beaches, surfing, sports fish, scuba diving, balnearios, the sea arch El Arco de Cabo San Lucas, and marine life. Cabo has crystal clear blue water and white clean sandy beaches. The water is warm most of the year but it can be rough with harsh currents. The distinctive rock formation carved by the ocean currents is fascinating.
Los Cabos is one of the safest places in Mexico and is not mentioned in the U.S. State Department’s travel advisories. Due to the high level of safety, Cabo San Lucas is an attractive destination for cruise ships.
Why Choose Los Cabos for Weight Loss Surgery?
When choosing a location for weight loss surgery, Los Cabos is a favorite amongst bariatric patients. Hospitals such as Saint Luke’s, Blue Net, and AmeriMed only work with professional bariatric surgeons and staff with advanced medical supplies and technology. If you want a sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass surgery, or even just a lap band or gastric balloon, but prefer a comfortable experience at a reasonable price, look into Los Cabos.
- Saint Luke’s Hospital has over a decade of experience in the medical field, helping the community with comprehensive bariatric, cosmetic, and general health care.
- Blue Net Hospital offers everything a visitor and resident in Cabo would ever need, from general surgery and intensive care unit (ICU) to specialty centers for bariatric and cosmetic medicine.
- AmeriMed Hospital has multiple centers across Mexico, from Cancun to Cabo, each specialized in top-quality health care.
The History of Cabo San Lucas
The city is situated in the Baja California Sur and is over 1000 miles from the US/ Mexico international border. The three districts are Cabo San Lucas, the Corridor, and San Jose del Cabo. The corridor is between Cabo San Lucas, which is to its west, and San Jose del Cabo, which is to its east. The mean temperature during the summer is approximately 70-100 degrees, which falls to about 50-80 degrees during winter. Overall, the average temperature is about 78 degrees.
San Jose Cabo is a very traditional Mexican town that was founded in the 18th century by Jesuit Missionaries. It was originally a small fishing village that gradually developed into a tourist destination. According to popular legends, this place was frequently visited by pirates. A ship full of treasure is said to have sunk in this area. The original natives of Los Cabos were neither Mayans nor Aztec but were the Peru Indians or the Cora or Etudes. But, their culture has been extinct for the past 200 years.
15 Interesting Facts About Cabos San Lucas
- Cabo has incredible weather with hot sunny days and little moisture. There could be about 350-360 days of sunshine throughout the year.
- The rainy season is in the months of July, August, September. But, it only receives 7-10 inches of rain annually.
- Jacques Cousteau discovered an underwater sand waterfall during his ventures in Baja. There is a 1200 feet canyon below into which the sand cascades. This dive spot is recommended for advanced and experienced divers only.
- It is believed that Cousteau once described the Sea of Cortez as the “Aquarium of the World” about the numerous shoals of fish.
- Cabo San Lucas is often referred to as the Striped Marlin Capital of the world. Rumor has it that more striped marlin has been found in Cabo than anywhere else in the world. Marlin fishing thus draws a lot of tourists.
- Nine public golf courses can be found in the Cabo area.
- Cabo is also well known for its fantastic restaurants and well-renowned chefs. Some of the famous chefs include Manuel Arredondo from Manuel’s Creative Cuisine and Larbi Dahrouch from Agua.
- The beaches of the city are all up to the high tide line, and one should take the time to visit the spectacular beaches of Cabo.
- Medano Beach also known as Playa Medano is the most popular beach.
- While water at some other beaches can be unfit for swimming, some of the beaches that are almost always safe for swimming include Medano Beach, Chileno Beach, Playa Palmilla, and Santa Maria Bay. Be cautious to follow the safety flags.
- Cabo is a great place for surfing too. Places like Zippers, Monuments, and El Tule are great for duffers. Beginners can, however, head to the Mike Doyle Surf School at the Cabo Surf Hotel.
- Downtown Cabo San Lucas is a perfect party place. The majority of the clubs are in Cabo San Lucas, but a few can be found in San Jose del Cabo also.
- A lot of celebrities can be spotted hanging out in Cabo San Lucas like Jennifer Aniston, George Clooney, and Paris Hilton to name a few.
- A television show called, “The Lands” was shot in Cabo. It aired from 1995-1996 and also starred famous former football player Fred Dreyer.
- The San Jose Estuary, which is situated in eastern San Jose del Cabo, is spread over an area of 2,000 acres of green land contrasting Cabo’s mountain terrain. An underground river called Rio San Jose from this estuary. Over 250 species of animals inhabit this area.