Making a phone call in Mexico is much more expensive than in the US. You may want to do one or more of the following:
- Call your mobile carrier before you travel to find out if you can make international calls and if there are other fees that may apply such as roaming/out-of-network calling. Activate international coverage rates with your individual carrier before entering Mexico.
- Purchase and activate an international calling card before entering Mexico. Roaming fees may still apply – so check with your mobile carrier.
- Take advantage of Wi-Fi services (both at the hospital and hotel) to make free calls from your iPhone, IPad, and smartphone. To use WiFi;
- From your Phone, go to your Settings > Select VOIP (Voice Over IP) OR Select WiFi Calling option rather than using your mobile network or cellular data.
- Ask your carrier for further detailed instructions if you are unable to find/activate this setting on your Smartphone.
- To Make Free International Calls: You will be charged for using your phone’s data/minutes if you are not using the VOIP setting or Wi-Fi calling setting.
- Download calling apps such as Viber: Get Viber Here.
- Facebook: How To Make Free International Calls With Facebook Messenger
- Other similar apps and invite those whom you will contact while you’re in Mexico. You can even video call using these apps!
Calling To/From Mexico
When making a call from Mexico, Dial:
- Mexico to the United States: 001⎯Area Code⎯Number (ex. 001-707-1234-5678)
- Mexico to Canada: 001⎯Area Code⎯Number (ex. 001-707-1234-5678)
- The United States to Mexico: Dial: 011-52-area code-number (ex. 011-52-707-1234-5678)
- Canada to Mexico: Dial: 011-52-area code-number (ex. 011-52-707-1234-5678)