Patients often ask: which bariatric procedure is right for me?
There are five general factors to consider: BMI, smoking status, alcohol use, heartburn, and diabetes. It also depends on the patient’s age, health, habits, lifestyle, and whether or not this is their first bariatric surgery.
If you have had no previous surgery, the most crucial factor in determining your surgery option is your health, body mass index, and if you have Acid Reflux or not. If you have GERD or Acid Reflux, gastric sleeve is not recommended as it may worsen.
About 10% of sleeve gastrectomy patients suffer from severe heartburn.
Gastric sleeve is the most popular choice for a good reason; it is the safest option, doesn’t alter the anatomy, is very effective for weight loss, and is easy to revise if needed.
– When is Gastric Sleeve Surgery (aka Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy) the best option?
- No Acid Reflux or GERD (Gastric Sleeve makes it worse)
- BMI 30+
- More Affordable
- No Anatomy Changes
- 60-70% Excess Weight Loss
– When is Gastric Bypass Surgery (aka Roux-en-Y) the best option?
- Severe Acid Reflux or GERD
- BMI 35+
- Slower Metabolism
- Sweet Tooth
- More Beneficial in Improving Type II Diabetes, Cardiovascular Disease
- 70% to 80% Excess Weight Loss
– When is Gastric Balloon the best option?
- Seeking a non-surgical procedure
- BMI 27+
- Only need to lose 20-40 lbs.
- Removed After 6-12 months
- Want a short-term option
- Only 1-2 days overall
– When is Duodenal Switch Surgery the best option?
Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch (BPD/DS) or Single-Anastomosis Duodenal Switch w/ Sleeve (SADi-S) criteria:
- Seeking the most-invasive procedure that alters the anatomy
- BMI of 40-45+
- Ready to be on strict vitamins supplements long-term
- Previous ulcer
- Highest remission in Type 2 Diabetes and Hypertension
- Over 75-90% Excess Weight Loss
Bariatric and metabolic procedures are performed to correct the failed, and unsuccessful first operations. The most popular surgeries are:
- Band to Sleeve
- Sleeve to Mini Bypass
- Sleeve to DS or SADi-S
- VBG to Sleeve or RNY Bypass
Mexico Bariatric Center’s surgical teams offer a wide range of laparoscopic as well as endoscopic procedures. The best bariatric surgeons in Mexico help you choose the most suitable bariatrics procedure for you! Please fill out a Health Questionnaire to get reviewed directly by our surgeon. They will tell you the best option for you in regard to your health history.
Procedures we offer;