Even though gastric bypass is a weight loss procedure with high expected weight loss, patients will have to face some side effects as a result of your new stomach and intestines.
Side Effects of Gastric Bypass
- Dumping Syndrome – Dumping syndrome or Rapid gastric emptying is common in patients after gastric bypass. Rapid gastric emptying occurs when sugary food moves from your stomach into your small bowel too quickly. Dumping syndrome is caused by eating sweets or other simple carbohydrates, dairy products (in some people) and alcohol. Dumping syndrome can induce vomiting, nausea, weakness, anxiety, flushing, etc.Patients can minimize the occurrence by eating small meals and following dietary guidelines set by your physician/nutritionist. Dumping syndrome could be a useful mechanism for patients to know about their diet as the body would signal the wrong foods and drinks.
- Dehydration – Dehydration is common and a serious side effect of gastric bypass. Because your new stomach is only 4 ounces, patients will need to consume water many times a day. Patients will need to consume 64 ounces per day. Patients need to look out for nausea, vomiting.
- Difficulty swallowing – patients who eat too quickly, or by not chewing their food enough can have problems swallowing. Avoid eating too fast.
- Hair Loss – Everyday we typically lose 75 to 100 hairs, but some patients will lose hair during rapid weight loss (sometimes in clumps that may be alarming, but is purely hormonal). Once you are getting near your weight goal, hair loss will slow. Hair loss may or may not happen, but it usually isn’t something to worry about unless your physician is concerned about malnutrition. Typically the hair will regrow once you’ve reached your weight loss goal.If you’re worried about hair loss you can take hair supplements (purchased from a variety of shops, online and brick and mortar) to help combat the rate at which you lose hair:
- Co-Enzyme Q/10: 25-50mg per day
- Biotin: 300mcg per day
- Flax Seed Oil: 1-2 grams per day, gel-tabs, oil or sprinkles
- Zinc: 50mg per day
- Gallstones – gallstones will typically happen in as many in 33% patients, gallstones are small stones of cholesterol.
- Indigestion – indigestion can result typically because of poor patient diet. By fixing your diet, patients can reverse indigestion.
Guide to Gastric Bypass Surgery:
- Gastric Bypass Average Prices
- Gastric Bypass Common Complications
- Post-Operative Guide to Bypass Surgery
- Pre-Op Diet
- Post-Op Diet
- Gastric Bypass Success Stories
- Recovery after Gastric Bypass