Gastric Sleeve Surgery Costs
Gastric sleeve surgery is an effective weight loss procedure to help obese patients lose weight and cure obesity-related comorbidities. The cost of gastric sleeve varies based on the following factors:
- Where you want to have surgery
- Bariatric surgeon’s credentials, qualifications, and expertise
- Hospital facility
- What is included in the price
- Insurance coverage (for individuals who have healthcare)
How Much Does Gastric Sleeve Cost?
The average price for sleeve gastrectomy (VSG) is relatively high due to the specialized tools, instrumentations, and medical supplies needed. Without insurance coverage, you can expect to pay $22,000 out-of-pocket in the United States or as low as $4,000 cash pay in Mexico. Since it is not recommended to be an outpatient procedure, the cost of the hospital is typically included in the total price.
The average cost of gastric sleeve in Mexico is approximately $4,500-$5,200 which is typially packaged all-inclusive pricr. Savings of over 70% compared to the price in the United States or Canada.
With insurance, your costs are completely up to your current healthcare plan. First off, it completely depends on if your medical insurance will cover any cost and if you would even qualify after your carrier’s tedious requirements are met. If you are covered, costs in the United States are generally 20% of the total price.
Cost of Gastric Sleeve Around the World
On average, the price of sleeve gastrectomy ranges from as low as $4,000 all the way up to $25,000 or more based on the geographical location and insurance coverage. In the United States, most individuals report an estimated cost of $16,000 to $22,000 per surgery in 2019-2020. These are the costs you can expect to self-pay (without insurance). Even with healthcare coverage and qualification, the costs associated with co-pays and deductibles can still be more expensive than Mexico.
For Canadians, the gastric sleeve procedure is covered by their national health care system. However, the wait-lists are long and can be years depending on the province. Canadians pay an average of $19,000 when they use “self-pay” surgeons.
Where can you get the cheapest cash pay gastric sleeve? Fortunately, when prices are out of range, the cheapest and best alternative is paying for gastric sleeve in Mexico. Here is a breakdown of the average costs in the most popular countries.
How Much Does Gastric Sleeve Cost in Mexico?
Hospitals, facilities, and specializes in countries like Mexico offer excellent healthcare alternatives at affordable prices. Medical tourism to Mexico for bariatric procedures like the gastric sleeve has grown exponentially in the past decade, as one of the most effective treatment options for obesity.
The cost of gastric sleeve in Mexico is about one-third of the price you can expect to pay in the United States or Canada. Prices range from $4,500 to $8,900, with the average price at $5,500.
Why is Mexico the Cheapest Option for Self-Pay Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
The Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy in Mexico can save patients two-thirds of the cost because of;
- Lower Surgeon and Surgical Staff Fees
- Lower Cost of Living
- High Volume Discounts for Hospital Facilities
- Malpractice Insurance Costs
- Less Administration and Paperwork in Healthcare
Cost of Gastric Sleeve at Mexico Bariatric Center
At Mexico Bariatric Center, we offer Gastric Sleeve Surgery starting at $4,595! The price reflects some of the best certified bariatric surgeons in Mexico all a part of an all-inclusive out-the-door package.
Mexico Bariatric Center has several payment options to cover the costs which include credit cards, money orders, and financing. MBC also offers Medical Tourism Insurance* through a third party company so that you can get coverage against unforeseen situations at a nominal cost.
* Medical Tourism Insurance is provided by 3rd Party Company and requires additional payment.
What Does Gastric Sleeve Pricing Include?
- Private Ground Transportation (Inbound, In-Town, Outbound)
- Hospital Stay – 2 Nights
- Pre-Operative Tests (EKG & Blood Test)
- Hotel Stay 4-Star, 2 Nights (Not Recovery House)
- Post-Operative Standard Medications Including Discharge Medication
- Follow-up Aftercare
- Post-Operative Test (3 Leak Tests & Drain)
- Surgeon Liaison
- Certified Dedicated Full Service Bariatric Hospital With ICU
- Nutritionist Consultation (Pre-Op)
- Skilled & Experienced & Certified & Dedicated Bariatric Surgeons
- Nutritionist Consultation (Post-Op)
- Companion at no Charge
- Tour of Tijuana
Benefits of Traveling Abroad for Sleeve Gastrectomy
The costs of the gastric sleeve surgery package with Mexico Bariatric Center are straightforward, without hidden fees or additional costs. Note that bariatric surgeons typically charge higher for individuals that have greater than average BMIs (usually 49 BMI or higher). Also, patients who have Hiatal Hernia are charged an additional fee for removal. This does not include airfare to/from San Diego.
- Impeccable Pre-Op and Post-Op Care
- Support Groups and Support Forums
- All-Inclusive Pricing w/ Financing Available
- Low Wait Time – It takes no more than 10 minutes to fill out an online application and get approved within 24 to 48 hours
- Better Outcome – MBC team of certified bariatric surgeons have 20+ years and 10,000 surgeries, collectively
- Low Complication Rates – MBC bariatric surgeons have extremely complications (1 / 10 of the United States)
- Save Money – MBC packages are a fraction of the cost of surgery in the U.S. and Canada
At Mexico Bariatric Center®, we strive to offer the lowest costs available while still providing excellent patient care, quality expertise, top safety standards, and before/after support.
Cost of Gastric Sleeve vs. Other Bariatric Surgeries
Gastric sleeve is proven to help patients with long-term weight loss and to help obesity-related diseases such as type II diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, joint problems, depression, and others. So patients can save money by cutting the cost of medication and treatment of the diseases associated with obesity.
- Gastric sleeve does not have as many doctor visits required as gastric banding
- Typically lower cost than gastric bypass surgery, duodenal switch, and gastric banding
Regardless of the cost, undergoing gastric sleeve has benefits of improved health and well-being, and will pay for itself in a short time. Studies have shown the cost-effectiveness of bariatric surgery on the Quality-Adjusted-Life-Year (QALY).
Gastric sleeve patients realize an estimated $11,000 per year in healthcare cost savings.
The patient will recover the expenses in about 2 to 4 years if done in the United States/Canada, and about a year if done in Mexico at much more affordable prices.
Am I Covered by Insurance or Paying Cash for Gastric Sleeve?
The gastric sleeve procedure with insurance can range from little to no out of pocket money all the way up to $15,000+. The insurance process is typically time-consuming and drawn out over the course of 6 months to 2 years. You will need to check with your insurance provider if it’s covered on your insurance plan. Make sure you know what are the requirements are to get the coverage, and the steps you need to take to get started.
If it is not covered, make sure the costs incurred from the surgery are payable by the insurance provider. Sometimes they won’t pay for the surgery but they may pay for different parts of the procedure.
* Prices are subject to change. Not valid on blackout dates. Prices depend on the surgeon, surgery, additional fees, and schedule. Prices may rise because of BMI levels and previous abdominal surgeries.
** All of the testimonials are covered in our disclaimers. Individuals’ results will vary; there is no guarantee stated nor implied.
Last Updated: 2020, by Ron Elli, Ph.D.
- Financing & Payment Options
- How to Pay for Bariatric Surgery Without Insurance
- Why Choose Mexico Bariatric Center?
Cost of Other Bariatric Procedures: