When eaten or used topically, Coconut oil provides remarkable health benefits. From adding it to a tasty meal to rubbing it into your feet at night, coconut oil is a must-have.
8 Clever Uses of Coconut Oil
1. All-Natural Bug Spray
Want to ward off bugs with a straightforward and cheap home solution? By mixing just half a cup of coconut oil with ten drops of tea tree oil into a spray bottle, you can, in fact, create a natural formula that will keep bugs away.
2. Soothe Bug Bites
If you get bitten by an insect, simply rub some coconut oil on the bite and surrounding area. This will help to reduce the itching and burning sensation.
3. Rejuvenate Dry Skin/Massage
Suffering from dry skin? Well, coconut oil serves as an excellent moisturizer.
- You can even have it used as a natural massage oil, helping to make your skin soft and healthy as you get those pesky knots out of your back.
- You can even apply it to your feet before bed, put on a pair of socks, and wake up to a nice soft feel to your heels.
- Apply it to your hands as well to reduce dryness caused by a hard day’s work.
4. Prevent Stretch Marks
Using coconut oil daily to potentially troubled areas can prevent unsightly stretch marks.
5. Soothe a Sunburn
Not only does coconut oil help to rejuvenate dry skin, but it can help soothe a sunburn as well. Just apply it as much as necessary for sunburn relief.
6. Repair Damaged Hair
While in the shower, apply some coconut oil to your hair and let it set in for at least 5 minutes before rinsing. This will help to provide your hair with a soft feel, shiny appearance, and even help fight dandruff.
You can also spray coconut oil into damp hair, cover it with a shower cap and leave it for an hour or two before using shampoo to help prevent frizz.
7. Face Masks
By combining coconut oil with other beneficial ingredients, you can create different face masks to reduce blemishes, moisturize your skin, and much more. Some beneficial ingredients to combine with coconut oil include honey, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, espresso, and many others. There are amazing coconut oil face mask recipes out there!
8. Lip Balm
Do you suffer from dry, cracked lips but don’t have access to any lip balm? Simply apply coconut oil to your lips for protection and reduce dryness.
Use Coconut in Food
Coconut oil contains fatty acids called medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) which are easily absorbed in the body and can increase the number of calories you burn to help you lose weight. It has been shown that MTCs can significantly increase your metabolism as well.
You can cook coconut oil at a very high temperature as it has a high saturated fat content. Taking 2 tablespoons of Coconut oil is recommended for daily dosage.
- Use as a butter replacement on toast, popcorn, etc…
- Add to smoothies for an energy boost
- Apply it as a pan liner for cooking
- Add in when making nut butter
Health Benefits of Eating Coconut Oil
Some of the many benefits that you gain through eating coconut oil are:
- Prevention of heart disease
- Cure for urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Treatment for kidney infection
- Protect the liver
- Reduces inflammation and arthritis
- Prevents and treats certain types of cancer
- Supports a healthy immune system
- Boosts your energy level
- Improves memory and brain function
- Improves digestion and reduces stomach ulcers
- Improves type 2 diabetes
- Good for building muscle and burning fat