Don’t Want Those Painful Kidney Stones?
Let’s face it; nobody wants to face the discomfort and pain brought on by a kidney stone. Many who undergo weight loss surgery such as a gastric sleeve in Tijuana with our specialized bariatric surgeons do complain about this issue. It is, in fact, a health problem that many faces which can easily be avoided through these helpful tips.
Bariatric surgery patients have a greater chance of developing kidney stones due to changes in urine and higher levels of oxalates.
What is a Kidney Stone Exactly?
Kidney stones are a hard mass of minerals that initially start off in the form of tiny crystals that grow over time. Many times, kidney stones form to be so small that they pass right through the urinary tract unnoticed. However, larger ones may become lodged in the ureters (the tubes connecting the kidneys and the bladder), blocking urinary flow and causing excruciating pain that is enough to make even the toughest cry.
So without further delay, here are some healthy tips on how to avoid kidney stones:
1. Drinking Enough Water is the Best Prevention
Water consumption is crucial in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Drinking the proper amount of water such as 2 to 3 quarts a day helps avoid dehydration as well as filter out those crystals, so they don’t build up.
Dehydration can lead to the build-up of minerals and kidney stones because there is no flow of water to push it through the urinary tract. One good way to ensure you are getting adequate water is to calculate your ideal intake or speak with a professional who can recommend your ideal intake based on your individual medical needs. Water consumption requirements can vary if you have had weight loss surgery such as gastric sleeve, so it is important that you listen to your nutritionist and doctors.
2. Take Vitamins Properly
When taking vitamins, it can be good to follow some guidelines on proper vitamin intake. Certain vitamins such as B6 and Magnesium help reduce the risk of kidney stones. Calcium and vitamin C, which are great for your health have also been said to contribute to kidney stones. However, according to our source, this is not true.
We strongly recommend that those who have undergone gastric sleeve surgery in Tijuana with our surgeons, or any other weight loss surgery that requires more vitamin intake stick to appropriate guidelines and follows them carefully.
3. Include These in Your Diet
- Add lemon in your water; citrus helps block stone formation
- Just 4 ounces of lemon juice added to your water per day can reduce the risk of kidney stones dramatically
- Occasional citric fruits with vitamin C, but avoid too much as they can be high in sugar
- Foods rich in calcium such as yogurt or bananas
You Can Include, but Should Avoid too Much of These in Your Diet
- Wheat Bran
- All dry beans (fresh, canned, or cooked)
- Leafy greens
These foods are high in what is called oxalate foods.
Oxalate: a salt or ester of oxalic acid
Breakdown by Type of Kidney Stone
– Calcium Oxalate Stones
- Reduce the amount of sodium in your diet; the recommendation is to have no more than 2300 mg. Per day. If you are prone to kidney stones associated with a high sodium diet, recommendations are to have less than 1500 mg. of sodium per day.
- Reduce your animal protein intakes such as meat, fish, and eggs. Protein needs are based on individual health requirements. A general healthy range of protein is: Your Ideal Healthy Body Weight divided by .8 to 1.2. This will give you the amount of protein in grams
- Get enough calcium from food or taking calcium supplements with food if you can’t get it all through your diet alone. Due to the decrease in digestive enzymes, we recommend that bariatric patients have 1500 mg of calcium daily with an added 2,000 units of vitamin D
- Avoiding foods high in oxalate, such as the ones listed above
– Calcium Phosphate Stones
- reduce the amount of sodium in your diet
- reduce your animal protein intake
- get enough calcium from food or taking calcium supplements with food if you can’t get it all through your diet alone
– Uric Acid Stones
- limit your animal protein intake
We hope this proves helpful in your avoiding the onset of kidney stones. If you are a former bariatric surgery patient of ours, please be sure you are watching your intake of vitamins and water. And be sure that you are eating the optimal foods to best aid in your overall health. While weight loss surgery such as gastric sleeve or gastric bypass does help you lose weight quickly, it is important that you give your body what it needs regarding vitamins and nutrition during this fast transformation.