What Is a Non-Scale Victory?
Definition: A Non-Scale Victory (NSV) is an accomplishment that marks your new, healthier life. For example, Non-Scale Victories (NSV) could be being able to do a full pull-up for your first time or being able to run a faster mile.
They are numerous non-scale victories after weight loss surgery in Mexico shared with you here for your inspiration!
Bariatric procedures like gastric sleeve and RNY gastric bypass help overweight and obese individuals drop pounds quickly and permanently. Another type of NSV that patients can achieve involves their health. Examples include:
- Gaining the ability to have a healthy pregnancy (PCOS)
- Overcoming sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, depression, anxiety, and more!
Mexico Weight Loss Surgery Non-Scale Victories
Here is a comprehensive list of NSV’s posted by patients of Mexico Bariatric Center in the Facebook support group.
1. NSV: Shopping is Fun Again!
- I can wear my watch on my wrist!
- Be able to wear Old Navy clothes
- Be able to wear a swimsuit in public
- To be able to wear your necklace and not choke
- To fit in your old jeans, boots, clothes
- Wear shorts in public
- I don’t have to go to plus-sized clothing stores anymore!
- Loser pants with a higher energy level!
- To graduate out of “granny panties”
- Want to be able to wear bracelets that don’t need the “extra link”
- You can wrap a bath towel around your body
- I can use a regular towel after showering
- Shopping is fun again – to be able to buy regular size clothes
- I have to pin my pants now to get them to fit!!
2. NSV: Active Lifestyle
- To be able to hike and climb a mountain
- Do jumping jacks
- Go roller skating
- Ride go-karts with your kids
- I can ride a bike now
- I placed 3rd in a 5k run!
- Jump on the trampoline
- To climb playground equipment
- Doing flips again! 6 months post-op and 72 lbs down. I love my sleeve!
- Go SkyDiving
- Can ride horseback again
- Not get winded quickly
- Going to Disneyland and being able to go on rides
- Make it up the stairs without a sweat
- Go on a trampoline with my kids
- Go scuba diving
3. NSV: Got Fit!
- Sitting with your legs crossed
- Shave your legs without a struggle
- Sitting with my legs crossed and not having any discomfort!
- Be able to see your feet/toes
- To be able to tie your shoes without getting short of breath
- Can sit in a booth without my stomach touching the table
- My husband and I went from a king-sized to a queen bed
- You can get in and out of booths in restaurants
- To be able to fly without a seatbelt extender
4. NSV: Social Rewards!
- Go to a party and not be the biggest person
- Not be the “fat girl” in every photo
- I like taking pictures again!
- Not be embarrassed to get a picture
- Going to the DMV and not being embarrassed to say your weight!
- Not being recognized by my acquaintances
- People who haven’t seen you for a while call you skinny!
- Having nicknames like “skinny”
- Liking what I see in the mirror
- Getting a compliment from your ex
- Getting compliments from people who haven’t seen you for a while
5. NSV: Normal Vitals!
- Your blood test results come normally
- Not using a CPAP machine
- Not afraid to say my weight at the doctor’s office
- I was able to lose the weight to help my back injury recover
- Not taking pain medication all the time
6. NSV: Feeling Sexy!
- I can layout on the beach and enjoy it
- Your thighs don’t rub together when you walk
- To see your cheekbones again!
- To see your collarbone again!
- See your eyeballs and not be squinty
- To lose that “buffs hump” on the back of your neck
- Feel sexy
- Hubby loves to look at you naked!
- Weigh less than when I got married
Benefits of Non-Scale Victories
It is common that patients have a target/goal weight that they’d like to achieve. As that weight comes closer and closer to being a reality, it is good to take a step back and enjoy all the benefits. Aside from weight loss alone, there are many perks to take into account.
Celebrating the NSVs achieved throughout your weight loss journey supports good health. So take note and give yourself a smile in the mirror for your new-found victories!
Watch the above video to view former patients of Mexico Bariatric Center. In the video, our former patients share non-scale victories that they have achieved. These patients all underwent bariatric surgery procedures in Mexico such as:
“NSV – NEVER in a MILLION years did I think I would ever be on stage for a bodybuilding competition. I have been training my butt off for over two years (surgery on 7-11-15). Thank you MBC for giving me my life back.” – Kevin, bodybuilder
Recently, we published a post in our Facebook support group. In the post, we asked former patients to share a non-scale victory (NSV) in the comments section. The resulting submissions came flowing in and were very exciting to see!
What Non-Scale Victories Would You Like to Achieve?
Are there any NSVs that you’d like to be able to or have achieved? If so, please share in the comments below!