If you tried and failed to lose weight with diet and exercise, Gastric Sleeve in Mexico is a safe, effective, and long-term solution to overcome obesity through sustainable weight loss.
Gastric Sleeve is a minimally invasive surgery that helps make portion control a lifelong habit. It restricts the amount of food you eat, decreases hunger hormones, and reduces caloric intake.
Mexico Bariatric Center® is the premier choice for Safe Gastric Sleeve Surgery in Mexico and can save you up to 75%* on affordable, all-inclusive packages.
We take the COVID-19 pandemic seriously and follow strict protocols for the safety of patients, surgical staff, and coordinators. In this guide, you will learn how gastric sleeve works, candidacy requirements, recovery, costs, and our network of top bariatric specialists.
How Gastric Sleeve in Mexico Works
Gastric Sleeve Surgery, also known as Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG), reduces the size of the stomach by removing about 80% of its capacity. Patients experience rapid weight loss results and maintain a slimmer body.
Restriction in stomach capacity: Limits food intake and feel full from smaller sized portions.
Reduction of hunger hormones: Significantly reduces Ghrelin in the stomach so you feel less hungry.
Improves satiety hormones (Leptin): Increased sensitivity to Leptin (protein) responsible for feeling full.
Unlike the lap band or gastric balloon, it is a permanent and long-term solution to lose weight as it changes the body’s metabolic thermostat. Also, it is safer compared to other well-known procedures, like the gastric bypass surgery.
Our All-Inclusive Gastric Sleeve Package
The average costs for gastric sleeve surgery typically range from $12,000 to $20,000 in the United States. With Mexico Bariatric Center, your sleeve procedure includes everything listed below, starting at just $4,595. We offer one of the lowest-priced solutions for weight loss procedures that are all-inclusive with the best possible features including;
Private Ground Transportation
Accredited Hospital with ICU (2-3 nights)
Board Certified Surgeons
State-of-the-Art Medical Equipment
4.5 Star Hotel (2 nights)
Pre-Op + Post-Op Nutrition Program
Online Support Group
U.S. Surgeon Liaison
Prepare Time-Off Requests Forms (FMLA)
No Hidden Fees
Is Gastric Sleeve in Tijuana, Mexico Safe?
Even though gastric sleeve surgery is a straightforward procedure, our safety and success come from working with best bariatric surgeons in Mexico as well as health protocols followed by nurses and surgical team. There is a risk to any operation, however, we reduce complication rates and increase patient outcomes of sleeve surgery in Mexico by following these safety standards and guidelines:
- FDA approved top-quality surgical equipment & modern medical techniques
- Limited surgeries (only 3) per day for each surgeon
- Bariatric-specialized hospital dedicated to weight loss surgery
Mexico Bariatric Center’s full-scale certified hospital facilities are strategically located in prominent areas of Tijuana (Zona Rio) – which is very close to the border of the U.S. and Mexico.
Do I Qualify for Weight Loss Surgery?
Use our BMI calculator to instantly determine if you’re a candidate for gastric sleeve Mexico. Our general requirements for procedures:
- BMI of 30+
- Ages between 16 and 65 (case by case basis)
- Realistic expectations regarding the weight loss results
How Much Does Gastric Sleeve in Mexico Cost?
In the United States, the price of sleeve gastrectomy can be expensive ranging from $13,000 to $18,000. In Canada, you have to wait for 5 to 8 years to go through the free healthcare system or risk paying $22,000 cash-pay. This is why patients travel to Tijuana for cheaper options.
Self-pay pricing for gastric sleeve in Mexico is not only easily accessible, but it is also affordably priced – starting at $4,595 for all-inclusive surgery.
Mexico Bariatric Center works with a network of specialists including world-renown surgeons, nurses, surgeon liaison, patient coordinators, divers, and administration which is all included in the costs. We have also partnered with several financing firms for those individuals seeking payment plans and to defer payments.
Gastric Sleeve Mexico $4,995 $4,595*
According to a study by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), the percent of excess weight loss (%EWL) was a staggering 82% in the first year alone!
Many of our patients can lose 63% up to 100% of their excess weight within the first year after gastric sleeve surgery.1 In the first 6 months, you can expect to shed 2-3 pounds each week or 10 lbs a month on average.
3 months: 25% to 34.1% excess weight
6 months: 33% to 60.2% excess weight
12 months: 63.2% to 100.2% excess weight
5 Years: average of 55% excess weight loss
You could lose 90% of your stubborn fat within 2 years if you follow the proper post-op diet and a good exercise routine.
Major Benefits of Gastric Sleeve Surgery
The benefits of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) go beyond fast and efficient weight loss. Most patients regain self-confidence, feel happier, and have much more energy.
Surgery Details and Duration
Gastric sleeve procedure is performed laparoscopically. The entire surgery duration takes about 1.5 hours from start to finish (with 30 min to 60 min for the actual surgery). Patients are required to stay in the hospital for one night, although to ensure fewer complications and faster recovery we give patients two nights without charging additional fees.
Gastric Sleeve Recovery and Returning Back to Work
Healing is relatively fast. As a recovery guideline, we recommend that gastric sleeve patients return to work in 2 to 3 weeks following surgery. Recovery time is different for everyone. Some patients who have desk jobs are able to return to work within 7 to 10 days after surgery and others need more time depending on their job duties.
Gastric sleeve surgery is one of the safest bariatric procedures available. Although there are risks and unwanted side effects associated with any surgery, deaths from gastric sleeve are extremely rare and can be reduced if patients follow the required pre-op, post-op, and recovery guidelines. Combining our patient guidelines combined with our preferred network of doctors make gastric sleeve complications minimal.
Gastric Sleeve Side Effects
- Minor Side Effects: Gas Pain, Bruising, Nausea, and Inflammation, short-term hair loss
- Severe Side Effects: GERD/Gastritis, Pneumonia, Blood Clots, and Gallstones
Surgical Steps of the Gastric Sleeve Procedure
The best gastric sleeve surgeons in Mexico will use the same operating protocols, standardizations, and quality-grade instruments as is employed in the U.S. and Canada. The surgical steps for improved gastric sleeve surgery are performed laparoscopically using minimally-invasive techniques that ensure the most effective, safe, and successful results.
Step #1 – Anesthesia and Laparoscopic Positioning
As the patient is lying face-up,
- General anesthesia is administered by the anesthesiologist and a breathing tube (endotracheal tube) is inserted into the esophagus.
- The bariatric surgeon makes 3 to 5 very small incisions (only 1 in Single-Incision Gastric Sleeve) on the abdomen.
- Trocars (hollow steel tubes) are placed through the incisions as a passageway for surgical instruments to perform the operation.
- The abdomen is filled with carbon dioxide (CO2) gas to separate the stomach wall from the small intestine.
- The surgeon inserts a probe equipped with a built-in specialized camera (laparoscope) along with other small pencil-like surgical instruments.
- The liver is gently pushed aside with a retractor by the assistant surgeon.
Step #2 – Gastrectomy
- The greater curvature is released starting from the antrum to approximately two inches of the pylorus.
- The surgeon then finds and closes any Hiatal Hernias if present to prevent Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).
- An endoscopic cutter/stapler then cuts and staples the stomach shut along the bougie inserted through the mouth as a guide.
- Three lines of brand name, like Johnson & Johnson or Covidien, Titanium staples (Tri-Staple) to close the new smaller stomach pouch.
- The surgeon reinforces the staple line with sutures to make sure no stomach leakage and stretching take place – Inverted Gastric Sleeve and Double-Buttress Gastric Sleeve are popular ways to enforce the suture/staple line.
Step #3 – Post-Operation Care
- The surgeon takes out the stomach remnant and leaves a drain in the abdominal cavity as a precaution for the early detection of a leak. The drain is removed before released from the hospital.
- The incisions are stitched with dissolvable suturing material.
- Gastric Sleeve Before and After Photos – Best of 2020
- Gastric Sleeve Reviews – Is It Worth It?
- Patient Videos and Photos – Success Stories
- Life After Gastric Sleeve – Everything You Need to Know
- Pros and Cons of Gastric Sleeve Surgery 2020
- COVID-19 Triggers New Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery Guidance
* Prices are subject to change. Not valid on blackout dates. Prices depend on the surgeon, surgery, additional fees, and schedule. Prices may rise because of BMI levels and previous abdominal surgeries.
** All of the testimonials are covered in our disclaimers. Individual’s results may vary. There is no guarantee made by statements on this website.
Last Updated: May 2020 by Ron Elli, Ph.D.
Reviewed by Dr. Kimberly Langdon, M.D. August 2018