Gastric Sleeve Surgery in Tijuana, Mexico
Gastric Sleeve Surgery, also called Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG), is one of the most innovative types of weight loss surgeries and the most popular option performed today. In the gastric sleeve procedure, the size of the stomach is significantly reduced – resulting in reduced hunger and feeling full faster.
By removing a large portion of the stomach, the gastric sleeve causes:
- Restriction in the stomach – less food to feel full which decreases calorie intake.
- Reduction of the hunger hormones (ghrelin) – the individual is less hungry throughout the day.
Mexico Bariatric Center is the #1 provider of gastric sleeve surgery in Tijuana, Mexico. We have a proven track record with some of the best board-certified surgeons for high success rates with significant and sustained weight-loss.
Starting at $4,595*
Accredited Hospital (2 nights)
Board Certified Surgeons
State-of-the-Art Medical Equipment
Anesthesiologist and Nurses
4 Star Hotel (2-3 nights)
Aftercare Nutritionist and Support
The distinct advantage of the gastric sleeve procedure is the preservation of the patient’s anatomy while reducing obesity-related diseases, improving health, and longevity.
Unlike diet and exercise, gastric sleeve surgery changes the body’s set-point (metabolic thermostat) that induces rapid, effective, and long-term weight loss. The gastric sleeve is one of the less-costly and less-invasive weight loss procedures available.
Other advantages include:
- It is a purely restrictive procedure, therefore, there is no occurrence of malabsorption problems, like gastric bypass.
- It can be easily revised into another surgery, such as the re-sleeve, gastric bypass, and duodenal switch.
Am I Eligible for Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Use our BMI calculator to instantly determine if you’re a candidate for gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico. Our general requirements for procedures include:
BMI of 30+
Ages between 16 and 65+ (case by case basis)
Realistic expectations regarding the weight loss results
Gastric sleeve weight loss depends strongly on following the post-op diet and living a healthy lifestyle after surgery. Other variables that impact losing weight are age, physical activity, diabetes, medication (e.g. bipolar disorder), smoking, and genetics.
Patients can expect to lose an average of 70% of their excess weight in the first year.
- 3 months: 25-35% excess weight loss**
- 6 months: 45-55% excess weight loss**
- 12 months: 65-70% excess weight loss**
- 18 months: 70-75% excess weight loss**
Gastric sleeve surgery cost is quite expensive due to the high cost of material used for surgery and the high cost of healthcare in the United States. The self-pay cost averages around $20,000 with hospitals charging insurance companies over $40,000. The cost of sleeve surgery in Mexico is considerably lower in the range of $4,500 to $8,000. Tijuana offers one of the most affordable prices for bariatric surgery.
Mexico Bariatric Center (MBC) offers one of the lowest prices in the medical tourism industry while maintaining high-quality standards. Our facilities are strategically located in prominent areas of Tijuana (Zona Rio) close to the border of U.S. and Mexico. We have also partnered with several financing firms for those individuals seeking payment plans and to defer payments.
Safe gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico is something we pride ourselves in at Mexico Bariatric Center. We use a closed network of drivers to ensure patient safety at all times. Here at MBC, we reduce the risks of gastric sleeve surgery in Tijuana, Mexico by always striving to follow these guidelines:
- We use top quality surgical equipment, and modern medical techniques.
- Limited surgeries (only 3) per day for each surgeon
- We use a high-volume hospital, Hospital Mi Doctor, which has been shown to reduce complication rates and increase patient outcomes.
Possible complications of sleeve surgery are short-term (3 days or less), near-term ( 3 to 8 days), and long-term (after 8 days) – such as bleeding, leak, and wound site infection.
“It was the best decision of my life to have the gastric sleeve. I chose Mexico Bariatric Center because of all the rave reviews I had heard from my friends and clients.”
“Once you make the decision to improve your health and your life, stay motivated and continue to work and you will achieve whatever goal you set for yourself. Thanks again MBC. You have helped me change my life forever.”
“I’m posting three days early of my one-year surgiversary. 362 days, 80 pounds, 35 inches gone! Thank you to Mexico Bariatric Center for this tool and to my sleeve sisters who truly helped me get through this first year. Bring on year # 2!”
“RNY April 11, 2018. Down 30 pounds and went from a size 20 to a size 12. I’m the type of person that looks in the mirror and doesn’t see change. I constantly take pictures to remind myself that my body is indeed changing, and I absolutely love it!”
Health Benefits of Gastric Sleeve Surgery
The benefits of sleeve gastrectomy go beyond simply having better looks and fast weight loss. For patients having trouble with weight, sleeve gastrectomy offers an opportunity to feel better as well as live longer and be more productive due to significantly reduced risks of acquiring any obesity-related conditions as a result of surgery. Gastric sleeve surgery in Tijuana, Mexico is a viable option for travelers crossing the border to receive medical services.
- Asthma and Breathing Issues
- Type II Diabetes
- Headaches and Migraines
- High Cholesterol and Blood Pressure
- Infertility and PCOS Syndrome
- GERD and Acid Reflux
- Sadness and Depression
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Back Pain and Joint Pain
Non-health benefits of gastric sleeve surgery are almost as substantial and incredible as the health benefits are. Non-Scale Victories, known as NSV, are moments of inspiring confidence, happiness, and life changes that patients get to live out after gastric sleeve surgery.
Gastric Sleeve Surgery Duration
The sleeve surgery is performed laparoscopically under general anesthesia, using 3-5 small incisions in the abdomen. This procedure usually takes about 1.5 hours (start to end) with 30 min to 60 min for the actual surgery, depending on the anatomic variation of the patient as well as the skills and experience of the surgeon.
The patient is required to stay in the hospital for one night – but to ensure fewer complications and fast recovery MBC patients stay in the hospital for two nights. Healing is relatively fast, in fact, patients who have had sleeve gastrectomy usually return to work after only two to three weeks following their surgery.
During gastric sleeve surgery. the surgeon removes up to 85% of the greater curvature of your stomach laparoscopically, making it look like a tube or sleeve, thus the name “sleeve” gastrectomy. Mexico Bariatric Center specialists are board certified by both Mexican College of General Surgeons as well as Mexican College of Bariatric & Metabolic Surgeons (CMCOEM & CMCG).
Mexico Bariatric Center has the patient safety, security and peace of mind as a priority. MBC has teamed up with an insurance company to offer affordable Medical Tourism Insurance.
The Surgical Steps
- The patient is lying with the face up with the arms spread apart.
- General anesthesia is administered by the anesthesiologist and a breathing tube (endotracheal tube) inserted into the windpipe.
- The surgeon makes small incisions (normally 3-5) in the abdomen to access the abdominal cavity.
- Trocars or hollow steel tubes are then placed through the incisions as a passageway for surgical instruments.
- The abdomen is filled with carbon dioxide (CO2) gas to separate the stomach wall from the small intestine.
- The surgeon inserts a probe equipped with a built-in specialized camera (laparoscope) along with other small pencil-like surgical instruments.
- The liver is gently pushed aside with a retractor.
- The greater curvature is released starting from the antrum to approximately two inches of the pylorus.
- The surgeon then finds and closes any Hiatal hernias if present to prevent Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).
- The endoscopic cutter/stapler then cuts and staples the stomach shut along the bougie inserted through the mouth as a guide.
- Three lines of brand name, like Johnson & Johnson or Covidien, Titanium staples (Tri-Staple) to close the new smaller stomach pouch.
- A suture line after the staples is performed along the staple line (Inverted Gastric Sleeve or Double-Buttress Gastric Sleeve), to make sure no stomach leakage and stretching takes place.
- The surgeon leaves a drain in the abdominal cavity as a precaution for early detection of a leak.
MBC surgical teams perform three leak tests per patient. Two leak tests are performed the day of your surgery with blue dye and air. The next day we perform the last leak test, called a Fluoroscopy. Fluoroscopy is much like an X-ray movie that traces a special colored dye through the new stomach to detect any possible leak.
* Prices are subject to change. Not valid on blackout dates. Prices depend on the surgeon, surgery, additional fees, and schedule. Prices may rise because of BMI level and previous abdominal surgeries.
** All of the testimonials are covered in our disclaimers. Individuals results will vary; there is no guarantee stated nor implied.
Last Updated: April 23, 2019 by Ron Elli, Ph.D.
Reviewed by Dr. Kimberly Langdon, M.D. August 2018