Traveling to Mexico – Passport Requirements

Mexico Bariatric Center, traveling to Mexico, Passport Requirements image

When traveling to Mexico for bariatric surgery, patients will need to have a valid passport. If you don’t already have a valid one, you’ll have to apply for a new passport.

The standard passport service takes roughly 4-6 weeks, they have an expedited service that will be 2 – 3 weeks ( and cost an additional $60). View more about processing times.

Since March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including children – have been required to present a valid passport or passport card for travel into Mexico.

While documents are not routinely checked along the land border, Mexican authorities at immigration checkpoints approximately 20 to 30 kilometers from the border of the U.S. will often conduct vehicle and document inspections and will require valid travel documents and an entry permit or Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM). View More

More Information

Department Of State – American Travelers Services
Washington, DC 20001
Phone: (202) 647-5225

Embassy of Mexico
Washington, DC 20006
Phone: (202) 728-1600

Learn more about what to expect when you travel to Tijuana