Diabetes Study on Bariatric Patients

According to a study presented at the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, nearly 15 years after bariatric surgery, a third of all patients who had Type II Diabetes remained free of the disorder. The study also reports that six years after surgery, patients had reduced their chance of heart attack in 10 years by 40%, stroke by 42% and the likelihood of dying in the next five years by 18%.

The studies show an apparent improvement in various metabolic syndrome remission rates. Ultimately, these two new studies may increase the appeal of having bariatric surgery because of the proven results. Insurers may also cover it more often if they know the procedure will reduce other healthcare costs for the patient’s health.

The study evaluated 604 bariatric surgery patients in Sweden for 15 years. They found that in the first two years following surgery, nearly 72% had diabetes remission. These patients also could stop taking medication for their condition fairly quickly. After 15 years, little more than half of the patients had diabetes again, but 31% of patients remained in remission. This rate could increase with better nutritional counseling during post-op visits.

The researchers compared those that had bariatric surgery with a group of obese patients who had diabetes and didn’t have surgery. They found that in 15 years, diabetes remission was more than 6 times more likely to occur in those who had surgery than in those who did not.

Diabetes Study with Bariatric Patients

Post-Op Study on Bariatric Patients

Another study by the Cleveland Clinic looked at bariatric patients for about six years following surgery. The study’s researchers focused on patients and their chance of developing various health conditions both at the time of their surgery and six years later. They used the Framingham risk calculator to estimate both the before and after ten-year risks of stroke, death, kidney disease, heart disease and some complications for surgery including poor circulation. They found that of those that lost 60% of their weight, nearly 61% of those patients went into Type II Diabetes remission. These same patients saw a drop of 27% in heart disease and stroke risk.

Many experts feel that reducing the stress in the body helps it run properly. Many compare obesity to smoking for a period suggesting that the longer one remains obese, the higher their degree of obesity and risks will be over time.

Ultimately the link between surgery and remission rates has been unclear. Still, with two studies showing positive results, it is clear that losing weight is important and directly affects one’s metabolic syndrome rates and risks. However, with only a handful of insurers covering weight loss surgery, the ability to lose excess weight fast is not there. This is because many insurance companies require special diets and other evaluations such as psychological counseling before even considering a patient for bariatric surgery.

Bariatric Patient Health Post-Op