Known for its never frozen, square beef patties, Wendy’s is a popular and convenient fast-food chain. As the home of the first modern drive-through in 1970, they took the fast food industry to a new level.
Gastric sleeve and gastric bypass patients should not totally write-off Fast food establishments like Wendy’s.
Wendy’s strives to provide fresh, delicious meals at a budget-friendly price, making them great for bariatric surgery patients.
Wendy’s Bariatric-Friendly Menu
In general, Wendy’s menu tends to contain high calories, sodium, and fat. Avoid their menu items like Baconator and Dave’s Triple Cheeseburger. Stick to healthier choices such as a grilled chicken sandwich, Asian cashew chicken salad, power Mediterranean chicken salad, or the Jr. hamburger. Select smaller portions of menu items or share with your companion. Skip the cheese, bacon, and high-calorie sides like chili cheese fries.
A balanced bariatric diet suggests 1,000-1,200 calories daily. Following this recommendation leaves you with around 350-400 calories per meal. With its variety of nutritious, low-calorie menu items, Wendy’s is a great choice to satisfy post-op cravings. Their fresh and never-frozen franchise policy ensures you will be left with a full belly without surpassing your daily calorie restrictions.
Although Wendy’s doesn’t have an extensive breakfast menu suitable for bariatric patients, they do offer high-protein options. Getting your protein early in the day will help you avoid excessive hunger and cravings later on.
|Classic Egg & Cheese Sandwich (319 Cal)||16g||27g||14g||3g|
|Classic Bacon Egg & Cheese Sandwich (320 Cal)||17g||25g||18g||2g|
|Small Breakfast Potatoes (263 Cal)||10g||39g||4g||0g|
Your bariatric meals don’t have to be boring or tasteless. Wendy’s lunch and dinner menu provides perfectly balanced, natural weight-loss diet options.
|4 Pc Chicken Nuggets (180 Cal)||12g||9g||10g||0g|
|6 Pc Chicken Nuggets (270 Cal)||17g||14g||15g||0g|
|Chili (240 Cal)||11g||22g||16g||6g|
|Jr. Cheeseburger (290 Cal)||14g||26g||14g||6g|
|Jr. Hamburger (250 Cal)||11g||25g||13g||5g|
|Crispy Chicken Sandwich (330 Cal)||16g||33g||14g||4g|
|Small Seasoned Potatoes (230 Cal)||10g||32g||3g||1g|
Wendy’s may not be the best bet when looking for a quick bite or drink. Nonetheless, they do offer a few bariatric-friendly options for when you are in a time crunch.
|Apple Bites (35 Cal)||0g||8g||0g||6g|
|Honest Kids Fruit Punch (35 Cal)||0g||8g||0g||8g|
|Tea (0 Cal)||0g||0g||0g||0g|
|Cappuccino (93 Cal)||3g||10g||9g||10g|
|Americano (0 Cal)||0g||0g||0g||0g|
|Espresso (0 Cal)||0g||0g||0g||0g|
Basic Precautions for Wendy’s
- Avoid Sugary Condiments/Sauces: Wendy’s offers a variety of sauces, but adding condiments to your food can quickly pack on calories. Check out our condiments after bariatric surgery guide to help you find the best and worst sauces for your meals.
- Avoid Cheese: Cheese is a high-fat dairy product that, if removed, can lower the calorie content of most Wendy’s menu items.
- Avoid Sugary Beverages: Sugary drinks can cause dumping syndrome because of their high sugar content. Avoiding soft drinks is an easy way to reduce your calorie intake at meal times.
- Don’t Drink from a Straw: Using a straw will introduce extra air into your new stomach pouch, causing gas pain and discomfort.
- Avoid Overeating: Meals should be no more than 4-6 ounces. Overeating can stretch out your stomach pouch and leave you feeling bloated and gassy.
Simple modifications like this allow you to enjoy delicious meals from Wendy’s while staying on track with your weight loss goals.
Check out these other helpful blogs!
- What Can I Order at McDonald’s After Bariatric Surgery?
- Bariatric Taco Bell Menu
- What Can I Order at Chick-fil-A After Bariatric Surgery?
- Starbucks After Bariatric Surgery?
- What to Eat at Your Favorite Restaurant After Bariatric Surgery
- Panda Express After Bariatric Surgery?
- Bariatric-Friendly Chipotle Menu
- Subway Bariatric-Friendly Menu