How to Avoid Stomach Stretching After Gastric Sleeve
Stomach stretching is one of the biggest misconceptions in bariatric surgery. Yet, patients need to know this to maintain healthy, effective, and long-term success with gastric sleeve surgery.
Mild stomach stretching is necessary to get enough nutrients and stay healthy post-op. However, it can become a problem if patients are not careful with their eating behaviors and instead engage in emotional or binge eating. This can quickly cause unnecessary stomach stretching, which could lead to weight regain.
Minimize Unhealthy Weight Gain
- Follow a balanced meal plan with lean proteins, healthy fats, and non-processed carbohydrates.
- Portion control: do not overeat, take small bites and eat slowly. Be cognizant of your body’s response to being satisfied.
- Drink non-sweet beverages like water, herbal teas, and True Lemon products
- Do not drink with your meals; it pushes food through your pouch faster, causing you to be hungry faster.
- Try stress management tools like meditation, yoga, exercise, and mindful walking.
- Use a smaller plate as smaller plates hold less food.
- Stop mindless snacking, choose whole food options like nuts, avocado, boiled eggs, vegetables, and fruits instead.
Exercise, yoga, and meditation are highly recommended to ease stress and avoid emotional eating.